share

Design Advice : Karina's Unique Problem

Karina needed some help with an odd dilemma. Here is her funny e-mail:

Dear Erica,
First of all, I love your blogs. I've been a lurker (there's just no way to make that sound non-creepy) for a couple months, but there's only one reason I would reveal my lurker ways: I need help with my new apartment. You see, I moved in with a friend of mine who has a very different perspective of home decorating than I do. I would like things like a couch, a table, chairs, coffee tables, end tables and a TV stand. She would like throw pillows and bean bags. I am not at all joking when I say she wants nothing but large, overstuffed pillows in our living and dining room. She calls it "little kid chic". We are both in our mid-twenties, by the way. That is our dilemma. I prefer a more furniture oriented apartment while she would prefer we take a very, very minimalistic approach. I am trying my best to meet her halfway, but I don't know how to go about it so we both get something we want. Any suggestions? Help me, Tart House. I don't think my back will survive if we go the floor pillow route.
Thanks,
Karina

Quite the challenge. I think there is a happy middle ground by selecting very casual and comfy seating, plus floor pillows and poufs that provide comfort for optimal relaxing. But then pairing it all with more sophisticated accessories. That way Karina's roommate gets the laid back feel that she wants, while Karina doesn't have to feel like she's living in a dorm. Here's what I came up with.

Karina's Design Board

In the way of sophisticated accessories I chose these curtains (1), this beautiful lamp (2), and an oversized watercolor print (3).

For the furniture I wanted things that were casual and low to the ground to give that laid back lounge feel. This lounge seating from PB Teen (4) was the first thing I thought of when I got Karina's e-mail. I think it would look great paired with this low side table from Ikea (5) and this butterfly chair from Urban Outfitters (6). All three pieces are casual but are still nice to look at.

To complete the lounge look: some floor pillows (7), a brown velvet pouf (9), a cute suzani pouf (8), and a nice soft faux fur rug (10).

I think this actually a really fun look, and great for laying around with friends watching movies. Good luck Karina!

No comments:

Post a Comment